Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Portrait of Myra Logan, M.D., 1908-1977
Source: Fleur-O-Scope (NYMC Yearbook) 1933, pg. 71.
Other sources of information
Brief Biographical Sketch
Myra Adele Logan,the first recipient of the Walter Gray Crump Scholarship for Young Women, graduated from New York Medical College in 1933. Among her more notable accomplishments, she was the first female to perform open heart surgery and was the first female African American elected a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- First recipient of the Walter Gray Crump Scholarship for Young Women.
- Graduated New York Medical College 1933.
- She was the second female African American interne at Harlem Hospital ( Dr. Myra Logan..July 8.1933.)
- Served on the New York State Committee on Discrimination ("Dr. Myra Adele Logan." 1977)
- (1933, July 8,) "Dr. Myra A. Logan Enters Harlem Hospital; Is Second Woman Interne. The New York Age.,
- (1977) "Dr. Myra Adele Logan." Journal of the National Medical Association. (69)7, p.527